Are we there yet?


When will we get there?
What is taking so long?
Can I have that promotion now?
When is it my turn Lord?
At one point in time or another we all have asked the above questions. And sometimes reaching one's goal takes T.I.M.E.

Our journeys can be long and slow. We may often nudge God to ask if we've reached our destination. And He at times politely answers with a, "No". We may then get a little impatient and even upset but He reassures us that we will get there, when the time is right. Yet we still toss and turn. We push doors that we're actually meant to pull. And we argue with God as to why we should have that thing we so long for, now! But, what we fail to realize is that complaining (murmuring) is a sin (have a look at 1 Corinthians 10:1-11). It's a behaviour that is negative and can cost you your life, if you don't turn away from it. For that reason we should avoid it at all cost and remember that God always has our best interests at heart. He also wants us finish our race strong.

I recently came across a scripture (James 1:6-8 MSG) and this version of scripture grabbed my attention, "Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who 'worry their prayers' are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open". As I cut that scripture into a few segments and digested it, I've come to the realisation that God does not want us to have doubt in our hearts as it limits us. Instead, He wants us to come to Him with expectant hearts, be filled with faith and accompany that faith with actions. For that is the key to receiving our harvest.

Just this morning, I drove past a few homes with beautiful gardens. And I admired how the gardeners transformed the property by cultivating the soil, trimming the lawn and cutting off dead branches. I imagine that each owner may have had a vision in mind. And prior to attaining the end result, many hours were spent planning, planting, pruning and cutting. I then looked at my younger self and my life and realized that I took some time to bloom just like the roses I admired. I had a few unnecessary parts (those which bore no fruit) and they needed to be separated from the living branches. God worked on my rough edges. And being the Master Gardener himself, He required no help, only obedience.

"What am I getting at?" you may ask.
Firstly, we all start off planting seeds of a dream or vision we would like to see come to pass. And these seeds require time before we can actually enjoy the harvest. Though waiting may not necessarily be easy, God is loyal and His timing is perfect. For that reason, we have to resist the temptation of taking shortcuts and stay on course. Secondly, we may come to Him demanding a complete layout of His plan for our lives or an answer, but all God asks from us is that we trust (believe) Him and take the first step. Thereafter, the next step will appear and then the other etc. To believe in God and His promises means that you trust Him. For He sees the end from the beginning. He knows when we're about to experience or go through detours in life and these things are no surprise to Him. I find that quite comforting and instead of complaining, I ask God for forgiveness. If I can be truly honest with you, it takes me some time to come to terms with some things but I purposely have to put His Will above my own. I remind myself that His plans sometimes take time to develop and that's okay. And just because we live in a fast-paced world and desire to have things immediately, that does not mean we should have them. Instead we attain things gradually as each process has a purpose and a lesson to teach us. So I rest in Him.

For I have also realized that when I permit Him to lead me, He guides me along right paths (Psalm 23:3). He'd help me develop the fruits of the spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control) (Galatians 5:22-23). And one very important thing He'd remind me of is that
He is not the author of confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33), nor did He fashion us to be double-minded (unstable in everything we do). Therefore, we should 'iron out' such creases and just as parents discipline their children in a loving manner, God sometimes straightens us out so we too can be fruitful. That's one way we learn to be more like Jesus and die to self. And when tests and trials come, we guard yourself against 'thorns' (things that try to steal our joy).

I'm still a work in progress and often have to work on being patient. But what I can say about this matter is that the Lord ALWAYS keeps His promises (Psalm 145:13). Always. Which means that He will do as He says. While our job is to keep our heart and mind in check, thus we should not be moved by what we hear or see. So the next time you feel the urge to complain or worry, find something else to meditate on and praise God for. (Your health, family, God's providence etc.). You might think that God is late, but the truth is that He is always on time. So keep the faith and trust Him.

P.S. Just a reminder, God is faithful.
He will direct your steps (Proverbs 3:5-6). ✔
He will supply all your needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).✔ 
He is able to do super-abundantly, far more and above all we can ask or think (Ephesians 3:20). ✔
And He will cause all things to work out for your good (Romans 8:28). ✔

- Mel ♡♥♡

Comments

Popular Posts