Positive Thoughts Only



Think about what you're thinking about.

Some of you may be reading this post and are asking yourselves, "What is this woman talking about?". And I will get to that in a moment, but I would like to firstly tell you a short story. During my first year at university, I was introduced to several new concepts, theories and theorists and different schools of thought. Some of the courses I took intended to teach students how to think outside of the box and broaden one's views, while others pushed you to question the views you already had. On many occasions I was pushed out of 'my box' and I had to learn how to adapt to a new way of life. I had to make sense of all the information I was receiving. And the only way I knew how to do so at the time, was to purposely separate the theories my lecturers spoke about from what I actually believed to be true. I saw no need to question certain things, particularly if there is a God. In my mind, the answer was clear as daylight. He exists! And He is able to do exceedingly, abundantly far more than we could ask or think (Ephesians 3:20).

One day I had a conversation with another student, and I distinctly remember telling him that I did not need to 'Find myself' because I did not lose who I was. I was only nineteen back then, but I was pretty sure that I knew who I was and what I wanted out of life. I was not being arrogant, nor was I naive but I was actually affirming what I believed at the time. Yet, over the years parts of me have changed and I seem to have misplaced that assurity I once possessed. I have realized that finding oneself does not necessarily mean that one was lost, but that one is still uncovering something that may be deeply hidden... Something that may have always been there, but we turned a blind eye to it.

So earlier this year, I thought I'd be doing myself a huge favor by unpacking and dismantling particular boxes in my mind, starting with my thoughts. I bought a book titled, Switch On Your Brain by Dr. Caroline Leaf and I was quite eager to start the brain detox. As I read the book, I recalled how guilty I felt as a young adult, one who would often over-analyse situations and not too mention, her own actions. I would engage in unproductive brooding (blowing things out of proportion in my head) and on one occasion I got so worked up that I could not get a good night's rest. I spoke to a mentor about the matter one day and he pointed out that some things are only as big of a deal as we make them. He had a valid point. I was focusing on something that was insignificant that I had lost sight of what really mattered. I put the so-called opinions of others ahead of those that truly mattered and I made myself miserable. But, I will always remember the bold statement that mentor made, he said, "I don't give a rat's backside what people think of me!". And I often use that statement myself as a mental reminder that I won't allow myself to be bullied, nor fall prey to the devil's tactics. You too, possess great power.

After reading the book, I have gotten a better understanding of what is healthy and unhealthy in various areas of one's life. And I had to learn how to catch negative thoughts, especially those that didn't line up with God's Word and His view of me. I learned how to rewire and redirect thoughts and also dispose of thoughts (2 Corinthians 10:5). Not an easy task I might add, but it is definitely possible. I've been training myself to do as Philippians 4:8 says, focus on what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable and praiseworthy. I would ask God for His help when I thought a 'task' was too difficult to carry out. And He'd give me the necessary skills to carry out the task. Helping me realize that it's by straightening our minds that we stay on course and we make progress instead of excuses. We learn how to show mercy unto others, and that does not necessarily make one weak, but it is an indication that we're growing and not allowing ourselves to be hardened by this world. Investing one's time and energy into such a project has not been a waste of time as it has reminded me of the importance of renewing one's mind (Romans 12:2). For our thoughts become spoken words, and spoken words become actions. This detox ignited something in me. And I decided that I had to get my mind right, so my words and actions could also be aligned with His Word. I have also realized that if I set my mind on positive things and speak right, those things would manifest.

I found that it takes a few detox cycles to completely break down one thought network at a time (that is 21 days per cycle). So all of this is a process. And it required that I put in the effort, so I could see and feel the effects in the near future. I would take a few minutes each day to build a healthy memory, positive thoughts and sharpen my conscience. I visualized the change I wanted to see and affirmed and declared statements I BELIEVE in such as "My mind is alert," "I am the righteousness of God" and "I am made in His image" etc. In other words, I would say such things continually and intentionally in order to sustain these new thought processes and memories, and eliminate the old, toxic ones. And this permits that our faith grows stronger. {If you would also like to partake in such a detox, I encourage you to get new, positive thoughts into your spirit-man by meditating on scriptures day and night. Look for scriptures that relate to your situation and refuse to utter statements contrary to God's Word. Utter only what His Word says - speak of good health, strength and His blessings etc.} 



Today I am mindful (aware and cautious) of what I allow into my head space (brain). If particular thoughts or emotions don't line up with God's Word, then they have to go as they are taking up space in my mind! This journey has made me realize that I can control my thoughts (and you too have the power to say what stays and what goes). I have found that journaling and art are a good means of imprinting things onto my brain and communicating feelings and thoughts. You can give it a try. It's quite therapeutic.

I would like to emphasize the importance of meditating on scriptures, as they have helped me stay focused as opposed to finding fault and being steered in the wrong direction. They also help maintain a healthy balance between work and one's passions. As I deem having a steady flow and peace of mind as the prerequisites for making progress (Colossians 3:15). For when we have the peace of God, we refuse to let worry contaminate us. We focus on things above (Colossians 3:2). We stand on His promises (Ephesians 6:13-14). And we create an atmosphere for God to move and amazing things begin to happen. For we get our joy and peace back. 

So far, I am still being mindful of my thoughts, and I'm embracing the fact that I can control my brain and eliminate toxic thoughts. For God has given us all a choice between life and death, and blessings and curses (Deuteronomy 30:19). And the way I see it, He wants us to choose life and use wisdom. We don't need to rationalize everything. Instead, we should seek Him, work more on our inner beings, and that way our inside, our hearts and minds can match with the outside. After all, it's not the fancy hairstyles, jewelery or clothes that make us beautiful. But it's a gentle and quiet spirit that counts (1 Peter 3:3-4). And as we commit ourselves to Him and make Him the center of it all, we are made physically and mentally whole. Leaving no room for that which is toxic. ☺

- Mel ♡♥♡

Comments

Popular Posts